the Character Chat Revolution
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Writing Fan Fiction.

3 posters

Go down

Writing Fan Fiction. Empty Writing Fan Fiction.

Post by ßøn∑z Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:04 am

A waste of time or a productive exercise?
I usually resort to it when I can't think of any writing ideas. Same goes for going on this website.
What do you think?

FANFICTION.NET.
ßøn∑z
ßøn∑z

Back to top Go down

Writing Fan Fiction. Empty Re: Writing Fan Fiction.

Post by Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:47 pm

Waste of time, since most fanfic is crap, anyway. And it really doesn't helo with ideas, since you're just using other peoples'. At least, that's how I see it. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Echo Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:12 pm

While I mostly agree with Spired, that's not entirely true... I mean, look at Wicked o3o
Echo
Echo
Winter Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:17 pm

I wouldn't consider Wicked a fanfic, but...sure. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:54 pm

I love writing fanfic. It's really forcing you to take somebody else's character and see things from THEIR perspective. Plus, it can really introduce you to writing personalities and quirks that you never had before.

Back to top Go down

Post by ßøn∑z Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:33 pm

Ende has a great point.
I think its good for when you cant think of ideas for you own stories but still want to write and express yourself. So, I like it a fair bit.
ßøn∑z
ßøn∑z

Back to top Go down

Post by Black&White Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:24 pm

yes and no, for me.

while there are some crap fanfics as spire says, i do believe there's good things to it too. it does give inspiration when your in a block, and i do love looking at a character's motives behind their actions and trying it my self.
im also very proud of my and ende's lil' fanfic of young justice chat. the characters there are all very well developed, we simply borrowed the setting and background for their life stories, shaping the characters into something we called our own.

As i told Ende when she was nervous copying off canon: any borrowed character can never shine like the original, because you don't know what the writer originally had in mind when creating him/her. You simply have to look over that and tweak a little. In that way, i see fanfic as a way of inspiration. Although you're copying the setting/background/ or even a character, it will always shape into your story/character because you won't reflect the original writer's goals, you'll have your own in mind.
Black&White
Black&White

http://blackandwhite1020.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down